April 16, 2014

FCI Past Patient Guest Blog: Michelle Edmonds!

Former patient, Michelle Edmonds, wrote in her own words about her journey to motherhood with Fertility Centers of Illinois. She wanted to share her experiences so that they could help anyone who might be going through the same struggles, pain and worry. Read on to experience her journey through her eyes.

Sitting here on the Eve of the Eve of my scheduled induction, I can tell you, writing this is so beyond   
filled with emotion, that I am not sure that any of us have the time to hear all of them!

I am a former patient of Dr. Brian Kaplan and by this weekend I will be meeting my son and daughter twins from donor eggs!  That is fully with thanks to the amazing staff, which has now become some of my dear friends! I will try my best to keep this short, as in the past two years, I truly cannot say enough about everything that has happened to me.  It’s all part of my story, the good bad and ugly.

I had 2 miscarriages both getting pregnant on my own using like a million ‘over the counter’ monitors and calendars. My husband would change flights to get home early as I was ovulating and at some point I felt as if my life had become one of those movies like “She is having a baby.” 

After the second miscarriage, which happened around 13 weeks, we had to move on. I was not getting any younger and we just wanted kids we truly didn’t care how we did it!!  So we went to IVF and I did one cycle, emailing my poor nurse Tammy and my lovely OB like a million times a day! I went in knowing my egg count was bad, but lets give it a shot!  We did! I believe what was almost 2 weeks or maybe longer of being on IVF meds and my uterus like the size of a watermelon it was time! We went in and we got 5 eggs!  My friends had like 16 and I had 5 only 1 was matured. Dr. Kaplan came out and told my husband things were not looking so hot! I am sure that was followed by rugby chatting till I came to! The next day my eggs all died, and that was that.


I will never forget that 630am meeting; I guess that’s what you get with DR. K. I walked in and said, “let’s chat about what is next because I am NOT doing that again!”  He looked at me, tears in both of our eyes, and said “lets move on if you’re sure?’  I said was and here I am!  

Donor Eggs provide such an amazing solution. Sitting here, with these, beyond amazing babies, moving in my body!  I am so blessed to have such an amazing team at FCI and special mention to Dr. Julie Levitt of the Northwestern Women's Group who referred me to Dr. Kaplan in the beginning.  Thank god for the nursing staff especially Tammy who I email still with regularity, CEO of Northbrook, who assisted me in my donor and all the amazing Staff at FCI River North and Highland Park who have cheered me on not only through my pregnancy, but over these last two years! 

In the words of Hilary Clinton: it “not only takes a village to raise a child” but - sometimes to make one! I am forever eternally grateful!   

If you or anyone you know would like to share your Fertility Centers of Illinois journey on our blog, please email fertilitycentersofil@gmail.com to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment